(Davao City, Philippines). During its first quarter meeting on February 29, 2024, the Social Development Committee XI endorsed budget proposals totaling around PHP 136 billion for 19 government entities under the social sector. These allocations are distributed among nine agency regional offices (AROs), six state universities and colleges (SUCs), and four government-owned health facilities.

Of the total budget proposal, 47 percent, or PHP 64.3 million, will be spent for the regular programs, activities, and projects (PAPs) of agencies under Tier 1. The remaining 53 percent, approximately PHP 71.6 billion, are allotted for new and expanded PAPs under Tier 2.

The Department of Education has the highest share of 62 percent, amounting to PHP 84.4 billion, followed by DRMC and SPMC with a combined total of 12.9 percent, or PHP 17.5 billion. The Department of Social Welfare and Development ranks third with 10.8 percent, totaling PHP 14.7 billion.

Among the priorities highlighted in the budget proposals by the RDC XI are PAPs for Gender and Development, Indigenous Peoples Communities, Senior Citizens, Persons with Disability, and Youth Development. There is also focus on supporting the implementation of Executive Order No. 70, Institutionalizing the Whole-of-Nation Approach in Attaining Inclusive and Sustainable Peace, and Executive Order No. 138, the Full Devolution of Certain Functions of the Executive Branch to Local Governments. Other priorities include initiatives for adapting to the “New Normal,” Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Action, and support for the Davao Industry Cluster Roadmaps and Metropolitan Davao initiatives.